If you're reading Aaron's blog, you'll have read his recent rant. Well, it sparked one of my own. Here goes...
So much of our modern life is lived as a spectator sport. This is starting to seem really unnatural to me. Apart from our obvious obsession with watching actual sports, instead of actually living an interesting life, we watch other people live their lives, in movies, or on TV, feeding on their emotions, and dangers, and joys.
I am completely at fault here. I watch tons o' movies and my other favorite pastime -- reading -- while more respected, may be up for examination, as well.
Now, I'm not saying that we should quit watching movies, or reading fiction, or even watching "Survivor" if that's your sort of thing. But, I at least, need to examine the balance.
And this also begs the question of what real living actualy is. I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that life is about relationships; knowing and loving God and other people. That's what it's all about. Movies and books can add to life, but they are definately not an adequate substitution.
8/12/2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment