This morning while my students took a math test, I took a sip of my ice tea from my black insultated mug, and found something extra in my mouth. It felt like tea leaves, which made some sense, since I often use loose leaf tea.
I moved it around a little and spit it out.
Looking at the icky stuff that came out, I clearly recognized...uwaghaghaaah!!!!! the brown spindly legs and brown abdomen of the common mouse spider that crawls around ceilings and walls in houses in southern California. It was now sitting in my hand, but seconds before, I had been swishing it around in my mouth. Uwaghaghaaaahhh! Dance the freak out dance! Grit teeth. Shiver, shiver!!!! Blaaaachhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was totally wierded out, but my students were taking a test. I couldn't help reacting though. A couple girls nearby asked what was going on. I told them a spider was in my tea. The news traveled. I got up and continued trying to NOT think about what just happened.
As I walked past the whiteboard saying quietly "I am totally freaked out," a student spoke up with a kind smile on his face, "Just walk it off, man."
3 comments:
OHHH! *shudder*
Kids though... hehehe. I told mine they most likely have eaten spiders in their sleep (which completely grossed them out) and one of them asked "Is that why your mouth smells so nasty when you wake up?"
grody to the maxxxx!
i love the advice...walk it off.
Reminds me of the time late one night when I drank water from a cup and felt something move on my lips. A cockroach! ARRRGGGHHHHH!
I don't know what I would do if I actually chewed on a spider though. That's a whole other level of disgust!
Here's a bit of trivia: the average American unintentionally consumes a half a pound of insects a year.
Post a Comment