1/18/2005

California Explorers

As a schoolteacher, my favorite unit is definately the Exploration of California.
Most of the exploration was done by the Spanish
(actually, mostly by Portuguese working for Spain)
and though I have nothing against them as a people, they were a sad sorry lot of
mediocrity.

While not doing a super fine job of exploring California, (they didn't discover the gold, and they only discovered the gigantic bay of San Francisco at the very end, and then only by series of mistakes), their history provides some material for a few hearty laughs (if like me, you have a taste for irony).

So if I've peaked your interest, tune in soon, same bat time (ie whenever I feel like it) ,
same bat blog, when I will discourse on the tragic career of that over the hill, wanna be bad boy,
Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, the First European to set foot in San Diego, California.

No comments: