5/07/2005

A Renewed Hunger

During Lent, sometimes I look forward to that first McDonald's Sausage Biscuit on Sunday morning. But, during Bright Week, the food doesn't even come close to giving what I really want now.
After Lent, I want something different. I've been given a new hunger that I didn't feel before. Maybe it was asleep. Maybe I suppressed it. But after Holy Week and Pascha, it wakes and rises up and calls for satisfaction. I want to go to church, because that's where I get what I need. But, I'm forced to go to school, to teach, to shop at Albertson's. My chosen life pulls me away from what I need, and unless I do something, I'm afraid that like every other year, this new hunger will fade away again untill it's gone, and I need to go through lent and all that work, just to wake up again. Sometimes it's not ok to go back to sleep.

No comments: