I've been wanting to take guitar lessons again for something like 10 years, but I could never settle on a style. Should I continue with classical guitar, or take up with a slide blues guy, or just give up my soul and learn some horrid bubble gum pop series of chord progressions and sound like your local youth music minister. Ughhh...!
What I really wanted was a teacher who could interpret and work with the following rambling desires - I wanted to learn to be comfortable on the whole guitar (not just first position and the high e). I didn't want to be tied down to music like in normal classical lessons. I wanted to learn enough about the guitar to be comfortable in any style, and to feel free to noodle around on my own, play some familiar tunes, and eventually write my own stuff.
Well, today, 5 minutes into my first lesson with my new teacher -- I will call him "David" (because that's his name) -- I realised I had stumbled on to the best teacher possible -- because David is a recovering classical guitarist. He knows his stuff, having taken 6 years of classical guitar at CSUF (funny enough, we had the same teacher -- another David), but once he got out, he realised that classical guitar sucks...you can play all kinds of "esoteric" (as he put it) pieces of beauty that nobody knows (don't get me wrong -- I like listening to that myself now, and again) but you can't play anything else. Without that music, you're lost. You can't jam. You're in a musical prison.
Just like I felt. And, now I've found my key that's going to get me out of the music book and into improvisation. It's wierd how things work out like that sometimes. Now, I've got to go practice.
8/30/2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment