8/22/2005

Dubious Support for Teenage Marriage

One of the many odd bits of dialogue from Breaking Away, a movie about
a bicycle racing and growing up in a small college town.

A straggly haired boy in t-sirt and bell bottom slacks meets up with
his girlfriend on the stairs in front of the large granite courthouse:

Mooch: Hi! Sorry I’m late.
Nancy: You look nice.
Mooch: Your hair looks great! What do think they’re going to ask us?
Nancy: Well, nothing we can’t answer, I suppose.
Mooch: Wonder if I have to have a job.... to qualify?
Nancy: I don’t think so. I think it’s mostly blood and relatives that they’re interested in.
Mooch: Blood and relatives? Well, that’s great. I’ve got both of ‘em.
Nancy: Aww, fudge. You know what?
Mooch: No...what?
Nancy: I only brought four dollars.
Mooch: Huh, well it’s only five. I tell you what...we’ll go Dutch..
Nancy: On a marriage license?
Mooch: Sure, why not?

No comments: