
Got it at 12:30 am on the 21st, and read all night with the help of just a little caffeine, then fell asleep around 7am. Continued reading and finished Sat. evening (well...I saved the epilogue till Sun. after church).
Like many, I would have loved to stretch it out, but the threat of spoilers was too much. So, don't ask me who dies. I won't tell you. Go check on the web. Or better, yet, Go read the books. It IS worth it. And, no...the movies Don't count. Not anymore, when the two hour films are so cut that they amount to really long and really cool trailer to the books. They certainly don't tell the story that J.K. Rowling has written in any way shape or form.
I will say that J.K. Rowling may not be an Inkling in historical fact, but she certainly has taken up the torch and placed it burning bright on the Brittish Hills. Go Joanne!!! May God bless her!!! I certainly send her my thanks for her work, and for the wonderful hero's journey she has imagined and completed.
PS...If you don't see the Christianity in the books, then maybe you are blinder than at least one bat.
3 comments:
I had no idea you were so enthusiastic about J.K., I had always imagined it as a fun story you enjoyed. The whole "God bless her" thing really caught me off guard.
As they say, YMMV.
See you tonight for liquid campfire fun time.
Do you think the Christianity found beneath the text might have more to do with the authors and archetypes she is borrowing from? Certainly, membership in the Church of Scotland is little guarantee...one only needs to be baptized as an infant to inherit that. And honestly, the inklings were very forthright about their own faith.
I love the phenomenon and excitement surrounding the books, i think it's fun. But there is a very good argument that the books are not the best out there and that the excitement is due to something other than their literary quality. I assume you may disagree heartily.
What think ye?
Aaron,
You bring up some really good points! I plan to respond to them in more detail in a future post...but for now, I will say this:
I really don't think the Christian elements of her story are accidental or imaginary as some would say.
I don't claim her prose style to be on the same level as the Inklings...she is not aiming at literary greatness of a Faulkner, Steinbeck, or even Tolkien, who really are masters of the English language.
Rowling is a story teller...see Lewis's article on Stories. And, at this, she is great and most definately a courageous Christian at heart.
Post a Comment