7/12/2007

Marimba Testing




Back in Nov '06, I got a small grant to build some marimbas for my classroom.

After moving to a 1bdrm apt in Fullerton, and the arrival of my little girl, the project got put off for a while.

Now I'm back at it. The pictures show two identical alto marimbas, as well as some mallets I've made. Everything is still in-progress of course. The mallets with dark handles are professionally made. The light handles are wrapped by yours truly. I'm prouder of those than I am of the marimbas themselves, as the process was a lot more mysterious before I finally found the right directions.

Today, I finally finished the bodies, and I set up a few bars just for fun and banged out my first notes. They sound crappy now, but when the bars get tuned they will deepen tone and resonance and have lower pitches as well.

Here's a sound sample:

3 comments:

Bluecanopy said...

dude, you're awesome..those kids will love em. are you making one for yourself to keep?

Beniy said...

Yes, if I can find the room to store it.

Mamasings said...

too cool that you know how to make and post a video. Hope I get to see the marimbas in person.